“Bone diseases can be prevented in the vast majority of individuals if identified early and treated effectively in those who get them.” -Surgeon General
5 Essential Elements in a Comprehensive Bone Health Program
- Bone Density Screening – this test is ordered by your physician and is to be done periodically to follow your bone health.
- Diet – Eat a diet rich in calcium (which supports bone strength and structure) and vitamins D & K (which help your body absorb calcium).
- Calcium supplements
- Pharmaceutical treatment when appropriate – talk with your doctor to learn if osteoporosis drug treatment is appropriate for you.
- Weight-bearing exercise – before starting an exercise program, consult with your doctor.
Our specialists work with your primary care provider in creating a comprehensive program to prevent and reduce bone loss.
You will receive a thorough exam. Our Pelvic physical therapist will take a history and identify any precautions in order to prevent injury.
Customized Plan and Treatment
Your physical therapist will develop a plan that you can continue to do at home or at your gym.
You will be educated to perform exercises safely and effectively. You will learn how to listen to your body so you know when to rest and when to push.
Side effects from weight-bearing exercise:
- Increase bone mass and bone strength
- Reduce hip fracture up to 41%
- Enhance strength
- Enhance stability and balance
- Reduce risk of a fall
- Better mental health
- Increase in energy by oxygen uptake
- Improved quality of life